Sunday 15 October 2023

Return to The Dial Up @ Pumphouse Theatre

[ARCHIVED BLOG POST] 

It has been five years since I last performed at The Dial Up hosted by Alex Williams, which I simply cannot believe. At the time it was to promote my play, which went wonderfully well (both the play and the entire promotion tour actually) and made for a nice performance memory that included book sales afterwards!

It was nice to be invited to return to the show and share the stage with passionate Poets, and to share the room with poetry lovers. However, this time it was much different from past Dial Up events, as it returned to Watford (was at West Hampstead last time) but taking place at a noticeably larger venue. This one being held at Pumphouse Theatre as a subsidiary of Watford Theatre. As some of you know, I just LOVE theatre full stop, therefore the setting was just right for me.

The size of the audience which is usually made for a cosy setting at a café, bar or small music venue, was not in alignment with the theatre seating plan. However, the magnitude of joy, contentment, audience appreciation and participation, talent and enthusiasm to share art from those on stage, more than made up for the sparse filled seats. Everyone was having fun and happy to be there with one another. I noticed that I was one of the few people who was not a local- a local that was fully embedded into their community no less. As they all seemed to know each other extremely well. As the night went on, more people flowed in and mini interactions between performances were happening, there was a strong feeling of an infectious warm hug to a degree or so I felt.

There were alot ("a lot" as the new so called standard of US English that I won't give in to), of elders in the room, who prided themselves on being members of the community and witnessing or participating to the history shared on the night. This edition of The Dial Up was dedicated to Black History Month (BHM). What pleased me a great deal was since much of the attendees were older, they kept bringing BHM back to the topic in question. Therefore, they were not just performing for entertainment with their presence but to add enlightenment with acknowledgement of history or Black culture in general.

Particularly with Black performers from the Windrush generation and second generation, their wisdom and experience was key to the enhancement of this BHM edition, in my strong opinion. It also meant alot to me when White (British) performers went on stage to respectfully give their perspectives and knowledge about a few things in regard to Black History. There was one man who informed the audience about the history of Rock 'n' Roll music, in regard to famous Artists (Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Beatles etc) who got more successful from copying songs from under-rated Black Artists like Buddy Walters, The Isley Brothers and Little Richard or Chuck Berry I think, due to racism. Knowing some of this myself, I was glad that he informed us further by quoting certain songs to prove his point.

The Musician reiterated this to us before doing a rendition of a Rock 'n' Roll song. I was so happy for the added information he gave because he mentioned some names that I was unaware of and had to write them down to look them up later. It prompted me to watch the new Elvis biopic that I was avoiding (due to already knowing how the story will go, as with most high profile celebrity biopics), since he mentioned that the film referred to much of that music history also.

Someone read a poem written by European (presumably renowned) Poet called Black Woman, which I am sure shocked many people in the room as well as myself. It was a positive, intriguing poem, debatably of critical analysis but welcomed nevertheless (by me anyway). There was a choir in their full attire, who sang like they meant it. Again the community love and respect, among the people within the choir on stage was obvious which captivated me more. There were quite a few Musicians with guitars and more Singers on the night than I expected. This was certainly a variety show.


As I posted on Instagram, it was a pleasure to debut my exceptionally informative and long poem Black History of Late, that I was still writing while I was in the audience which drew plenty of unwanted attention. But alas, by the time I got on stage, everyone knew that it was me who was the performer post-poning her appearance due to real-time creativity! As it still wasn't edited or shortened to my satisfaction, as it felt like it was a 1000 pages long, I did what I do best and freestyled- and very well might I add. The good thing about freestyling and waffling as I tend to do, is that it gives the opportunity for extra info, side notes, comic relief or necessary improv. It went down well. 

As a matter of fact, with the majority of the audience being older than me, and I have always been told that I "have an old soul or have been here before," I knew that the content of my poem would connect with them greatly. Referring to the recent passing of Black historic icons such as Tina Turner, Sidney Poitier, Cecily Tyson, John Magafuli, Harry Belafonte and Roy Hackett for example, had many of them cheering. Whereas when such names are mentioned to the youth, most of it goes over their head which is as annoying as a Comedian doing stand-up to an audience who just doesn't get the joke. It was the perfect poem to the perfect audience.

Afterwards I was overwhelmingly flooded with praise for the amount of knowledge and research given to my poem, gratitude and thankfulness for acknowledging certain people and events that some felt often goes ignored, joy from what they saw and heard, all said by very sweet and friendly audience members. As usual my writing sparked conversation and minor debate. Therefore, some people came up to tell me what they thought about certain events that I mentioned or to ask about key mentioned events and individuals (modern day figures) that they were unaware of. 

A lady even shared some information with me about an older West Indian woman who she knows personally, who dedicated her life to the NHS and other health and community causes in London. Apparently this amazing woman does not get the national respect that she deserves despite having received some recognition due to all her hard work and participated growth of the NHS. This was being brought to my attention as an indirect reference to my stanza about how West Indian labourer's were called on by the British government to help rebuild their economy thus they notably took on helpful essential roles as Nurses, Bus Drivers, Social Workers and other Key Workers which consequently propelled those British sectors/workforces at the time. Thus that stanza resonated with the English woman, who knew the West Indian woman that she was informing me about.

I was keen to learn more about the honourable woman in question. Moments like these, not just networking but really conversing, sharing opinions, knowledge and ideas really are invaluable. The lady went on to express how much certain points from my poem touched her and so on. An Irishman (very much a Londoner) who performed also, came up to me to express his sentiments on racism and the history of Britain. It turns out we were from the same borough but of different generations. As firm and fair as he felt about my poem and the overall discussion, he still highly complimented my poetry.

I just could not stop blushing from all this feedback, so much so that I had to have a moment to myself. The fact that I was so worried about the verbal delivery being affected by all my last second editing and additions, when neither of which deterred the poem from being received as intended, is just such a victorious feeling. It was less about the poem being liked and more about the people (particularly the Black elders of the Windrush generation in the room) being respected, feeling honoured and the Windrush Scandal vs the Windrush 75th Anniversary factors being given justice through my writing. It was important to me and emotive to many.

I really wanted to record all of the glorious things that people were saying to me and have them say their kind words and beautiful feedback on camera but I knew that they (most) would not have wanted that. I understand that not everything has to be recorded and uploaded as per activity of today's generation however, not only would it have been useful to me professionally but in any case I would have wanted to have their sweet words on record as a keepsake for my own personal memories. I'm more than thankful to have lived these moments regardless. I try to 'be in the moment,' and be as present as possible when good things are happening.

 [Click on the images to enlarge]

The show ended with a joyous rendition of Lean in Me by the host himself and a powerful Singer who goes by the name Funky Mama. That moment of such an uplifting song, with everyone including myself singing along, was SO SWEET. Almost a tearjerker I'd say. Watch clips via the link. The night concluded like church, just as I thought it would, not just because of all the choir robes among us lol, but because of this tight community of people all talking, mingling, walking slowly and discussing all that they had just witnessed as well as general catch-ups of their personal lives no doubt. Everyone was so sweet and friendly. I met plenty of nice people who I genuinely complimented for their performance, as well as a really nice lady who wore the best outfit of the night- that I want to buy myself (an African print trouser suit). 

Apparently The Dial Up concluded the Watford Fringe festival, a Fringe that I only just discovered last month. It was really a great time had and kicked off Black History Month for me perfectly and I look forward to doing more "info-taining" throughout the rest of the month.


Love Lauren

Instagram: @LKreelDeevah

Twitter: @LK_ReelDeevah

No comments:

Post a Comment