Thursday 26 October 2023

My Wordz of Whizzdom

My Poet friend Teju Chosen was having the second running of her new open mic event Wordz N Whizzdom and I came to show support. As the performer world is so small, I knew many of the other acts there which was nice.

Certain familiar faces of the night added greatly to the activities as I hadn't seen one particular female Poet, who admittedly hadn't been on the scene in ages, for the longest time. At first we didn't recognise each other but then I recognised her voice (obviously, as Poets) and realised that she performed at a couple of my events some years ago. It's amazing how these happenstances have been reoccurring all year! After picturing me with my long hair (before shaving it all off drastically but unapologetically in 2019), my face began to trigger her memory and it was all love. Thank goodness as I needed someone who was willing to take pictures of me on stage, which I hardly ever get to do lol.

The cheeky Host who goes by the character name President Obonjo, was just that, funny and facetious. We had our friendly banter as an audience member (me) to Comedian, which people seemed to enjoy, him more so. 


Interestingly, I performed my rarely heard poem Lead the Way, which although is about anyone who had the ability, the doubt, the opportunity or the force of circumstances to make them have to 'step up' and become a leader for whatever reason (based on my past experiences of being in that reoccurring position), on this occasion I dedicated this poem to brave grassroots activists, freedom fighters and African Presidents in recent years who I have admired the progressive, bold, revolutionary actions of. 

As it is still Black History Month (BHM), which many people seem to be forgetting or overlooking to my dismay, it was important to me to inform and elevate the audience with the notoriety that inspired my vocal dedication. Such as current revolutionary (regarding his assertiveness of freedom fighting) of Burkina Faso's Ibrahim Traoré. Traoré's comparable 'ahead of his time' predecessor Thomas Sankara. Rwanda's 'rise from the ashes and get things done' Paul Kagame. Ethiopia's pioneering, economy accelerating female President Sahle-Work Zewde. Along with the recently assassinated (a valid conspiracy according to the events at the time) John Magufuli of Tanzania, to spotlight a few.

Incase ("in case" used to be and still is in my opinion, ONE WORD), you may find some dirt on either of the above names mentioned be it true or false, past or in the future, just know that I am referring to their GOOD actions and the effective changes they have brought to the native citizens of their countries in order to actively enhance their livelihoods. My praise is comes from both research and first-hand experience  (e.g. from my temporary living in Rwanda). I have to make that disclaimer, as I hate when I praise someone who I discover to be seemingly admirable and then they let me down with a scandal or some contradictory disgrace, that is not only devastating depending how high a regard I held them in, but it's embarrassing to all that endorsed them. 

I learned a long time ago not to put any human onto too high of a pedestal however, I am also referencing my deep regret in quoting and praising certain influential people in a printed interview of mine from 2014 (which I'm sure I've mentioned before), that left me feeling utterly disgraced when some of those idiots shamed the world and their fans (including me) with their foul/criminal behaviour....alas.

Back to the main point; the dedication introduction of my poem left quite the impression on charismatic non-Politician President Obonjo, him saying so made for an artistic connection.

 

Another memorable moment of the night but my biggest highlight, was the Black History quiz. I loved that they had this, because firstly it brings out the child in me (class quizzes, competitions, prizes and what not), secondly because they brought it back to BLACK HISTORY and not just entertainment. That pleased me a great deal. As a history buff and proud afro-centric individual, I knew that I'd know most of the answers but it was fun to indulge in and watch even if I wasn't to participate. We had about five questions from the Host, where we had to write down our confirmed multiple choice answers on a piece of paper. 

In my opinion these were easy questions but I would think that as an avid reader and researcher. The general public on the other hand may not feel this way. When the Host asked who got 5/5 and I raised my hand, he had the nerve to not believe me and demanded to see my answer sheet!! Which I showed with no hesitation however, if I'd have known that it was going to be looked at then I would have written more legibly, since apparently I write like a Doctor as the stereotype of bad handwriting goes. Who cares, I WON! 


There were various little prizes given throughout the night including a keyboard vacuum, debated to be a dildo (by the Host of course) but none of my dildo's nor any on sex shop shelves (yes women do buy these things, actually it's big business for both genders truth be told) look like that funny shaped thing. A useful tool nonetheless LOL. 

My prize was newly purchased African art (a picture of a village woman's silhouette). What I loved about winning this is the irony of previously, desperately wishing that I could have purchased and transported much of the brilliant art I saw all over Rwanda. Also, that I won a prize based on merit, of history about my people. That feels good, BIG UP me! And BIG UP to the organisers for putting the games and prizes together!


 

Additionally coincidental was the repeat sighting of fellow Poet, Bruce Cadogan and Comedian Mr. Blair, who I both first met at the same event in 2014! We haven't aged much and everyone is still nice, still talented and doing what they love!

More pictures of the night can be found on my Instagram page. All these pictures were taken by Lady Rhymes, Teju Chosen and myself.

Keep learning, keep enjoying, be inspired.


Love Lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment